Wednesday 22 April 2015

A new home and a few surprises

Train ticket to Yongjia, my new home
Outside my window
Day two in Hangzhou and I am asked by the recruiters to sign the contract with them. I find out then, that the school I was told I was going to back in NZ has changed. What?! It was only by luck that I found out as the school name was written in Chinese on the contract. So I asked them for a translation. As you can imagine, I was a little shocked and was told that they had two schools in the same district and unfortunately they got them mixed up when they told me (hmmm?). They also showed me pictures of the apartment at the school which looked quite good and said the place I was now going was much closer to Wenzhou. It may be closer to Wenzhou but the apartment did not look like the one I actually got. I live on campus in the teachers accommodation in a single apartment. There is no kitchen sink and the only hot water is through the shower so people wash their dishes in the bathroom. Like many other Asian countries the shower is not separated from the rest of the bathroom so everything tends to get wet. This isn't a problem for me, but it's the washing yourself and your dishes and going bathroom in the same area that I can't get my head around just yet lol. With that and a few other maintenance problems affecting the apartment the school have said that they will get me another one, which was great to hear.
The kitchen
The living room
The bedroom






2 comments:

  1. How weird that they don't have a kitchen sink?? Especially in a country where they love to cook so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it is just these particular school apartments. I have been into regular apartments and they have a normal kitchen but they are just very compact. Maybe even slightly smaller than the one I had in Birkenhead.

    ReplyDelete