Friday 29 May 2015

Going to the hairdressers

Before (sorry there will be no after pic)
It had been well over two months since I had last been to the hairdressers and my hair was beginning to look like I had stuck my finger in a power socket. So I had gone the last couple of weeks just tying it back and cutting my own fringe. But the time had come to be brave and to put my hair in the hands of a new hairdresser in China. I knew this time would eventually come so I asked one of my colleagues if she could take me and be my translator. She was only too happy to help and suggested she pick me up the following day at 6.30pm outside the school gates (I live on campus). When she arrived she had her little 5 year old daughter Sissy with her and we drove to a nearby town where her stylist worked.

Sissy showing me her haircut
We had no appointment, and in fact the stylist was about to go home but my friend told her to stay and cut my hair. She did. The cut was ok, but they don't seem to layer it here like they do back home. So it was quite a blunt cut, then my fringe was cut way too short. So now I wear it off to the side, just so it isn't so obvious and will wait until it grows back out. She also mentioned the colour wasn't right (I have had highlights in for the last year). So I thought ok, let's see what she can do.  Famous last words! Well, picture this. I now have a blunt bob cut with a very short thick fringe and it's jet black. Once she finished, she said, "There, now you look Chinese". OMG, I had to admit she was right. Everyone, including my friend loved it so I didn't have the heart to say otherwise. Sorry guys there is no way I am posting a picture of it.

The best thing about the whole night is how they wash your hair. You lay down on a comfortable table (like a massage table) which has a sink at the end. The assistants then wash your hair and also give you a head, neck and shoulder massage as well. It was so relaxing! We definitely need these in New Zealand. They even had TV's on the ceiling so you could watch your favourite show while they did your hair. Brilliant!

Getting my hair washed
 

1 comment: