Friday 1 May 2015

May Day in Wenzhou

Wu Ma Street
Today was a day off for everyone here for May Day, so I decided to catch the bus into Wenzhou for a change of scenery and to check out the shops. Wenzhou is a large city in comparison with New Zealand with approximately 2 million residents. It is probably not big at all by Chinese standards as it doesn't appear to have a subway.

The shopping here is insane. Just like in New Zealand when a long weekend comes along, the malls and shops tend to be packed and this place is no exception. It was like Boxing Day Sales at a Westfield on crack. People were everywhere and sales people were out in force!
I decided to spend the day looking for familiar brands such as Nike, Adidas, Converse, Vans, MAC, Kiehl's and doing a price comparison. Unfortunately, most of these were the same price as you would have to pay for them back home, so no real bargains here. But I think I was wandering down the Parnell or Ponsonby Road version of Wenzhou. Wu Ma (5 Horses) Street is a very popular area and has a quite a few foreign shops. I love a good bargain, so I will need to talk to more people about where I can find the deals.
It was a good day out, and I am glad I made it there and back (bus and ferry) on my own without any dramas.
Wu Ma statue


On the ferry, check out the dirty water
 
The ferry























6 comments:

  1. I wish we had 1/5 as public holiday in NZ too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, NZ needs to have this day off too!

      Delete
  2. OMG is the water always that dirty? Is that a river or a lake? I laughed to read your description of shopping on a public holiday. I remember in Japan when they had sales...it was like a total fight and people were ruthless!! I was shocked the first time I experienced that. I hope you can find the good sale zones soon! Do many people do online shopping over there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's the actual water in the bay, so sea water. Not very appealing is it?
      There is a big online shopping website called taobao here, but not sure how popular it is as I haven't spoken to any locals about it. I know of some expats who use it though. I will check it out :-)

      Delete
    2. Taobao is the largest online shopping website, probably larger than Amazon and eBay combined. just ask your Chinese colleague :) Their total sales on a Chinese boxing day (which is 11.11 last year)were 9 billion usd. However, u have to be able to read Chinese , or find someone translate for you lol

      Delete
    3. Thanks Ming, that's really interesting.

      Delete